Friday, August 1, 2008

#16 Ariwara no Yukihira



Chunagon Yukihira

Tachi wakare
Inaba no yama no
Mine ni oru
Matsu to shi kikaba
Ima kaeri kon


Ariwara no Yukihira

Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.


(comment)
Yukihira composed this poem before he leave the capital.
"pine-tree"(matsu) and "wait"(matsu) are homophone in Japanese.So, the meaning that "If you will be waiting for me,I,ll come back" is hidding in the poem.

5 comments:

Jerez Sherry said...

This is a very touching poem, and I love teh art , painting as well.. Thank you for sharing your art work.

nobu said...

I like this poem too.
I can feel his loneliness for leaving capital.

Jerez Sherry said...

I hope it is ok, I used your art to link you from my site...if not let me know and I will take it off, of course..also I posted your haiku on todays haiku post..and linked you there...

Jerez Sherry said...

I like some court poets, like Hitomaro, and Haiku I like Issa.
"In the sea of ivy clothed Iwami""
beautiful poem by Hitomaro, do you know it?

nobu said...

Hello sherry,
Thanks a lot for linking from your blog.
and Thanks for postting my haiku on you blog.

Yes,I know "Kakinomoto no Hitomaro".
one of his tanka poem is include Hyakunin Isshu.

Please check #3.

And my mother like Issa too.